"All expectations and projections about the rollout of Burgernet have been surpassed. Burgernet works!" Ivo Opstelten Minister of Security and Justice
In November 2008, nine Dutch municipalities in five police districts introduced the pilot ‘Burgernet’- a new way for citizens to play an active role in the safety of their neighbourhood. And a new way for the police to improve their efficiency and effectiveness.
Burgernet is a citizens’ network. One of its objectives is to support police investigations aimed at catching criminals in the act.
We developed the IT application Burgernet in 2004 and managed the application maintenance. Logica – together with the Dutch Police cooperation facility [voorziening tot samenwerking Politie Nederland (vtsPN)] – will support police districts in the nationwide rollout of Burgernet. The challenge is to achieve a smooth and efficient nationwide rollout.
We have translated the concept of Burgernet into a technical working solution. In close cooperation with the police (vtsPN) and the Burgernet organisation, an integral system is realised for participating citizens, police and municipalities. The system is part of the police control room, where operations can be started and followed in an efficient manner. We developed Burgernet technology in such a way that not only the police but other emergency services can also use it.
A few examples of successful Burgernet actions:
- Copper thief arrested after clear description via Burgernet
- Raiders of wine shop in Delft were quickly located and arrested thanks to Burgernet participants
- A lost three year old cyclist found within five minutes via successful Burgernet action
- Advanced Burgernet implemented in Veendam due to arson
- Increased citizen confidence in their safety
- More efficient suspect detection
- Missing people and vehicles found more quickly
- Compliance with national standards and laws
- People and technology delivering results together.